Thursday, February 28, 2013

Part of Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuwfgXD8qV8

Hey guys, I thought of this as I remembered last class' discussion about the ways in which this course has not just changed the way we think about women, violence, war, to minimally state it, but I think it's fair to say it has changed the way we experience and perceive many things-- from our everyday lives, we see things in a different light. I just had to share this because watching it made me pretty upset with the images Katy Perry is setting across, as well as the bumper sticker that says "All women are born equal, then some become Marines". I'm not sure if maybe I understood it wrong, but the way I took it to mean was that first of all, women and men aren't even born equal, but women are; second, when a woman joins the Marines, she isn't equal to other women because she loses her woman-ness, her femininity. So then, this bumper sticker is explicitly devalorizing not just women, but even women in the Marines by demonstrating that they aren't women anymore once they join-- seen through Katy's masculinization as she chops her hair off, and puts on the "tough-guy" act.
How does this video continue to justify the patriarchal structures working within the system, and here in the Marines? It also made me realize how stressful it is to realize the huge number of little girls and young women who look up to Katy Perry, who obviously uses her power to restructure existing the existing power-structures and society. Lastly,  we've mentioned this before, but now that the combat ban is lifted, does anybody think it's important/possible that women began to keep their femininity, or at least not be forced to masculinize? How do you think they would react? Would it change things? Is it necessary? Would it create a little more equality, or what about women who don't mind being masculine?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Valeria,

    This is an interesting perspective but I'm having a hard time seeing it from your point of view. While I agree we live in a patriarchal society, our military simply exemplifying that, I don't know if Katy Perry's video exemplifies this. If anything it seems to me that this is a video showing that women don't need lying, crappy boyfriends and can take care of business. Additionally that they can even be braver than men, the cheating boyfriend staying at home, safe in his office, hitting on his co-workers, and she is out fighting a war (possibly a metaphorical one?). On a side note, that is possibly one the weirdest music videos I have ever seen... What I'm trying to figure out is what does she mean by "this is the part of me, that you'll never ever take away from me?" I'm not quite sure what that "part" is. Possibly her strength? I'm just seeing this as more of a simple metaphor (I mean seriously...its Katy Perry....cupcake and sparkles girl...). Yes she is doing it through what is typically seen as masculine but she makes her loser boyfriend look pretty lame and throws away the fairytale life that she was thinking of (this is what I gathered from the cut scenes).

    As for the bumper sticker...I wouldn't take so much out of that or at least not take it to heart. Its like the, "theres strong and then there is army strong" slogan. It states that all women are equal but some chose to become a marine, correct? It doesn't state what that implies, it leaves it up to the viewer, and, at least to me simply becomes an observation. I believe that what you are taking from it though is that these women are supposed to be somehow viewed as braver? For example, when I see that I have no problem admitting that I was not made to be a marine. I have flat feet, bad eyesight, I hate guns, and the thought of being yelled at for no reason just irritates me. However, I have decided to leave my country bumpkin town where I knew everyone, I moved to a large city where I didnt know anybody, and have managed to survive just fine. I feel pretty darn brave and anyone that feels differently can take a flying leap at the moon.

    What I'm trying to get at is that the problem for me lies not within these varied individual instances but in the structure as a whole. If we did not live in a patriarchal society, the bumper sticker and movie would be pointless if not just simply laughable. Good role models don't come from movie stars, they come from parents, teachers, and other directly influential people around us (our society). It is up to us to create a new generation of women who understand their self worth, their strength, and their ability in a context that is apart from sexist bumper stickers and ridiculous metaphors in silly music videos that surround us in our current society.

    I hope this makes you feel better! :)

    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete