Friday, May 3, 2013

Davies Forum Workshop Reflection


The quote I chose to write on the board during our workshop was “violence can be silent”. I thought this was a very important perspective I had not really thought of before. When Elina Penttinen started the activity, to be completely honest, I was very skeptical. I am not usually the kind of person that enjoys those particular kinds of creative exercises. However, after the first few moments of uncomfortable silence, I really did allow myself to follow Elina’s words of instructions. When we began to draw, images flowed surprisingly quite easily to me. The first set of instructions, conjured up thoughts of huge explosions and graphic human interactions. My first image was of a military soldier, decorated in an array of intricate medals and badges. The second featured a mushroom cloud of an atomic bomb and the last was the skeleton of a destroyed city.
When we got into our smaller groups to discuss our images, Sarai Aharoni pointed out how many of our images depicted the typical media representation of war. Depictions of soldiers, bombs and destruction, although important, do not take into account how violent silence can be. Sarai discussed how not giving people a voice is a type of violence, and I realized how true this was. By excluding certain groups from contributing, like women in peace negotiations, perpetuates a type of violence that many do not attribute to having the same impacts as a bomb, but it does. This really made me think about how, violence is not always ‘in your face’ and detectable. Perhaps, some of the most violent realities in our world are silent, and their silence is what allows them to be so destructive and pervasive.

--Erika 

No comments:

Post a Comment