Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cynthia Enloe Reflection

Meeting Cynthia Enloe was spectacular. I really enjoyed our discussion with her in our class but I felt as though the evening really put her in the "zone." I learned so much about the Boston bombing from a perspective that I really had not really considered, such as the militarization of the local police and the comparison of the bombing suspects to other criminals like the Aurora, Colorado shooter (rather than assuming their actions were based on terrorist motives). Her perspective was interesting and I am immensely curious about this topic and the role of race and religion in the narratives of the Boston bombers. Enloe really connected the language of feminism to the events around us and I enjoy her approachable way of teaching. She reminded me to look at all the events around us (and responses to those events) with my feminist lenses!

- Jillian


"If you have a toaster, life is good." - Cynthia Enloe

No comments:

Post a Comment