Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Workshop Reflection


The class workshop was an immensely positive experience for me. I have been having a lot of doubt about my goals in college and in academia and it was nice to meet so many educated women who really exhibit why research skills and education will be important for me in the future. Each of our guests was incredibly different and I loved the range of conversations that took place and the perspective that each woman brought to the table. I only wish we had more time and to continue these conversations and go more in depth on specific topics.

The drawing activity we did was surprisingly revealing – demonstrating how we all perceive different emotions in very distinctive ways. Anger and violence are often very sharp and distinct, while well-being is less so. Why is that? I feel immensely more connected to being in a “war-zone” because (even though this is a broad, sweeping statement) I feel like the planet is a war-zone, the United States is a war-zone, and though we are not fighting or experiencing violence and displacement in the same way it is experienced in the Middle East, we are individually connected to the conflict in a way that I’m still not sure I fully understand. Violence is in the undertones of our society, which could be why subconsciously we can describe it in more definable terms.

I also enjoyed learning about the various research projects the guests and my classmates are undertaking. I think it was important for me to see how others are connected to their research in order for me to realize I can pursue my interests and further my studies as well as engage others.

- Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment