Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Invisible War-- Reflection and Thoughts

I attended the Human Rights Festival in Saturday and saw The Invisible War. While I was unable to stay for the Q and A after the film I did meet Katie Weber an MST survivor and the facilitator for the Tri County Collaboration for Military, Veterans, and Family. She is interested in students who want to participate in her program and told me to extend a welcome to anyone interested in participating and working with her organization. I have her information if anyone is interested. She is a fascinating lady.

I wanted to share that the movie is....awful...incredible...disturbing....horrible...but such a necessary display of truth, courage, and struggle faced by women AND men who serve in the army. I was touched and angered by the film; I was angry when I left. How do you fix a system that is so inherently messed up? Who is responsible? How does this happen?

One of the hardest parts of the movie for me was the military father of a survivor who had promised his daughter that she would be safe and well taken care of in the military sharing that the military had done nothing about the claim that his daughter had filed; a place that had taken such good care of him and made him the person he is today so blatantly and carelessly disregarded a massive violation of his daughters emotional and physical security.

I am really glad that the movie mentioned men being the survivors of assault and rape in the military as well. I was astounded, although I guess I really shouldn't have been. Again, how is this allowed to happen? Who would actually threaten the people that are victims of assault and inform them of their rights as if eh we're criminals? Why are the actual criminals being protected?

There were many aspects if the film that upset me but these were things that really stood out to me. I can't understand it, or fathom that kind of abuse in ANY situation, let alone within an institution that is supposed to be built upon great moral character and protecting the population...


No comments:

Post a Comment