Saturday, April 27, 2013

Cynthia Enloe Visit


I truly enjoyed meeting Cynthia Enloe! Although I wasn’t able to make the class discussion, I refused to miss the opportunity to see her speak after class. I was very surprised that she spoke about the Boston Bombing, and I’m so happy she did. Before the discussion I hadn’t really followed the event closely, only hearing bits and pieces of the story. It was nice hearing her feminist perspective on the Boston bombing. The overall lecture struck me, but what stood out to me the most was when she questioned why the killings weren’t linked to Aurora and Newtown etc., how the method of weapon choice has distinguished the association to a “terrorist narrative” and how regarding the Boston bombing we’ve gone into a terrorist motive as opposed to a criminal motive. She also helped reinforce the idea that we must dig deeper than what’s being presented through the media and authorities, and do our own research to formulate our own opinions.

Cynthia Enloe was such a fascinating woman, and she had such a welcoming spirit. I felt so privileged to engage further with her at dinner! Although I tend to be very shy, I felt so comfortable in her presence! I loved that during dinner she invited everyone into the discussion and was interested in our own lives. I’m so happy that I got the opportunity to read some of her work, and listen to her lecture. The fabulous dinner and delicious dessert at Zazie’s was just the icing on the cake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment