Sunday, April 28, 2013

Cynthia Enloe's Visit

Cynthia Enloe had some great points about the process of writing a paper. My favorite was how she mentioned to not gloss over any thought, quotation, reference, or assumption that comes up during writing which causes discomfort. Instead, use this productively. Include it as a footnote. As she said, "It should always feel a little uneasy, because there is no such thing as universal knowledge". Love this. I also appreciated how she encouraged us to view our essays as part of a broader conversation. This gives me more incentive, more initiative, to really take seriously the claims I make in my essay.

During her presentation in Fromm, however, she made some remarks I didn't agree with. I remember her asking "Why was the religion or race of the shooters in the Gabby Giffords or Aurora incidents not considered? Why was it all the focus in the Boston shootings?" I think it's inaccurate to portray all three of these shootings as one in the same, especially given the fact that Dzokhar Tsarnaev himself stated "We did this in the name of religion."

No comments:

Post a Comment