Sunday, April 28, 2013

Workshop Reflections

Like Professor Wibben said, this workshop could've taken place for 3 days instead of 3 hours. I think because there were so many speakers it was hard to grasp all the information I could've were it one speaker. I felt like we barely had enough time to discuss topics into detail, and we only covered surface level information. I liked the meditation and "drawing violence" exercise, because it reminded me of the activities and meditations we would do in high school. Sometimes it's nice to just go back to the simple ways of delving into difficult topics than the more complicated ones like analyzing research right off the bat. It was hard at first to go from the calm meditation to drawing acts if violence but then I thought that was the best way to get a clear and neutral pallet first. If we were to be angry and thinking up violence before we drew, I think we would have had different outcomes. It was great that we could interpret others drawings and hear their own interpretations. It helps to put thoughts on paper because I think it makes it more real.
I especially liked what Swati said about getting angry. That's usually what motivates my passionate side. Sometimes it makes me go on long rants, but helps to get all the emotions out there, because then you can go back and look at your thoughts and fine tune it. I believe that it's passion that drives success and change. I also found my conversation with Caron very interesting. When you look at her, she is this jolly, sweet woman and then you find out that she teaches terrorist studies in Scotland. I wish that we could've had a deeper discussion about her line of work. I feel like every time I asked a question, her answer reflected her sweet disposition. I wish I could've seen more of the Caron that got riled up when she had a discussion with one of the other guest speakers who was questioning her. It was nice to see successful feminists get together and just talk with each other and reminisce. I used to have a very specific opinion about what feminists's views are, and it was nice to see the diversity in person that proved me wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment